Monday, January 24, 2011

"Kristen in Blue"


pastel, 18x22

This is the largest portrait I have painted yet, and I've found that it truly is easier (and more fun) to paint large with pastels.  I started by photographing Kristen positioned near a strong light to create very definite light/shadow areas on her face, and I used this photo as the reference.  I "made up" the clothing and background, and this is where I'm uncertain if I'm finished with the painting. It is very, very blue.  In some ways, I really like this intensity of color, but at the same time, I'm wondering if I need to adjust it, tie in some other colors, or just darken the value of the background... I've decided to let the painting "sit" on the easel for a day or two and come back at it with fresh eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment